Lamar Burton is a third year Doctoral student in Electrical Engineering with a background in Agricultural Sciences. His research focuses on using developments in microsensors, electrochemical sensing, microfluidics, and machine learning to understand the role of soil heterogeneity when measuring in-situ real-time nutrient uptake of plants and plant growth.
- PhD in Electrical Engineering, Florida International University, Miami, FL
- MS in Electrical Engineering, Florida International University, Miami, FL
- BS in Agriculture Animal Sciences, Southern University Agricultural & Mechanical College, Baton Rouge, LA
Current Research Interests
- Fabrication and Characterization of Plant on a Chip Sensing Devices for Plant Phenotyping / Fabrication
and Characterization of Polymer Based Ion Selective Electrodes (ISE’s) for Sub-Soil Nutrient Analysis
- Fabricates and characterizes plant and root on chip sensing devices for real-time plant phenotyping
- Fabricates and characterizes various smart weed block fabric sensors with selective sensing towards nitrate using various extrinsic platform modification techniques and parameters.
- Fabricates silver nano particle ink-jet printed IoT sheets for soil nitrate monitoring.
- Fabrication and characterization of MEMS devices for selective NO 3 – sensing in soil leachate.
- Fabricates VLSI inspired Nitrogen doped Polypyrrole ISE’s for soil nitrate sensing using various substrate and membrane configurations.
- Published journal article in the Journal of Electrochemical Society special issue May 2018
- L. Burton, K. Jayachandran, S. Bhansali “The ‘Real-Time’ Revolution for In situ Soil Nutrient Sensing: A Review” Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 167, 3, 037569, 2020.
- Namuduri, B. N. Narayanan, V. S. P. Davuluru, L. Burton, S. Bhansali “Deep Learning Methods for Sensor Based Predictive Maintenance and Future Perspectives for Electrochemical Sensors” Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 167, 3, 037552, 2020.
- Mekonnen, S. Namuduri, L. Burton, A. Sarwat, S. Bhansali “Machine Learning Techniques in Wireless Sensor Network Based Precision Agriculture” Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 167, 3, 037522, 2020.
- Mekonnen, L. Burton, A. Sarwat, S.Bhansali, “IoT Sensor Network Approach for Smart Farming: An Application in Food, Energy and Water System”, IEEE Global Humanitarian Technology Conference (GHTC), 2018.
- Burton, RE. Fernandez, W. Wen, S. Bhansali, “Modeling and Analytical Studies of an Ink-Jet Printed Sensing Framework for Measuring Sub-Soil Nitrate”, ECS Meeting Abstracts, 2018.
- Burton, N. Dave, RE. Fernandez, K. Jayachandran, S. Bhansali, “Smart Gardening IoT Soil Sheets for Real-Time Nutrient Analysis” Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 2018.